HIGH RISK PREGNANCY
A high-risk pregnancy is one that requires extra care. You may need a maternal-fetal medicine subspecialist if:
· You have a preexisting health condition and would like to become pregnant
· You have a preexisting health condition and are already pregnant
· You have a complication with a previous pregnancy
· You are currently pregnant and the fetus has developed a complication
· You have learned that your fetus may have a birth defect
· You are having twins, triplets, or more
Talk to your obstetric care provider about a possible referral.
–adopted from the Society of Maternal-Fetal Medicine
Why is the first trimester ultrasound so important?